Our theme for the year compares people with trees. Read the parallels below to understand how the lessons we learn from trees apply to our community.
- TREES know that every tree is valuable to the community and worth keeping around for as long as possible. LEGACY WOMEN know that everyone they meet can enrich their lives and contribute to the good of the entire community.
- TREES know that there are many advantages to working together. A tree is not a forest . . . Together, many trees create an ecosystem that moderates extremes of heat and cold and store a lot of humidity. In this protected environment, trees can live to be very old. LEGACY WOMEN know that they are much stronger when they work with others to accomplish goals. They know that drawing on the strength of many is simply very wise.
- TREES know that Nature is a strict teacher. If a tree does not pay attention and do what it is told, it will suffer. LEGACY WOMEN know that life’s experiences teach them many lessons that are not easy to learn. It is not what they are dealt, but how they deal with what they are dealt.
- TREES know that unfortunately for the young trees, their mothers do not approve of rapid growth . . . Scientists have found that slow growth when the tree is young is a prerequisite if a tree is to live to a ripe old age. LEGACY WOMEN know that the first 5 years of a child’s life are more important than any other 5-year period in life, because that is when a child develops curiosity, confidence, health and integrity.
- TREES know that the older the tree, the more quickly it grows. If we want to use forests to combat climate change, we must allow them to grow old. LEGACY WOMEN know that great wisdom comes from living well and experiencing new things. Each year of living well and each new adventure gives her depth and understanding.
- TREES know that a tree can be only as strong as the forest that surrounds it. LEGACY WOMEN know that they can only be as strong as the people they surround themselves with. They also know that each “friend” enriches and deepens the joy of life.
- TREES know that “friends” are important and that being aware of “friends” strengthens everyone. Trees will not allow their branches to grow outward into space occupied by a “friend.” They don’t want to take anything away from each other. LEGACY WOMEN know that supporting friends, encouraging friends, and laughing and loving with friends makes everyone happier and stronger.